Walking is not only a mode of transportation but also helps boost your mental and physical health. Unfortunately, pedestrian accidents, including sidewalks, traffic intersections, and parking garages, are common everywhere. Negligent drivers are the at-fault party in most pedestrian accidents.
Suppose you or your loved ones get injured in a pedestrian accident. In that case, seeking a law firm that offers experienced pedestrian accident injury attorneys to walk you through the legal process and get maximum compensation is crucial. A professional accident attorney can apply their years of experience and advise you on maximizing your claim and receiving full compensation. Top accident law firms have the best pedestrian injury lawyers to contact when you are involved in such an accident.
Common Pedestrian Accident Injuries
When a vehicle collides with a pedestrian, it is primarily the pedestrian who suffers severe injuries. In some situations, the forceful impact may knock the pedestrian to the ground resulting in a more difficult situation. For the most part, pedestrian accidents frequently result in injuries which may demand extremely high medical bills for treatment. Besides, injured victims may need time off work to recuperate and heal. The most common types of injuries that pedestrian accident victims suffer include the following:
- Traumatic brain injuries – these injuries usually occur due to a violent blow to the head, causing a dysfunction in the brain. Some traumatic brain injuries are minor and easily treatable, while others are extremely severe.
- Fractures – bone fractures occur when the physical force exerted on a body is much greater than the bones can withstand. Although a bone fracture is treatable, the injury can lead to medical problems and impact the victim’s quality of life. Broken bones are the most common injuries most pedestrian accident victims experience. It is no surprise that bones would crack or fracture when your body is struck by a vehicle.
- Back and spinal cord injuries – a spinal cord injury primarily results from a sudden blow to the spine, causing it to fracture or dislocate.
- Amputations – in severe pedestrian accidents, the forces involved may be great, leading to lifelong repercussions like an accidental amputation.
- Emotional trauma – being struck by a vehicle may cause trauma in some victims. Although these injuries are not physical, pedestrians who fall victim to the accidents may find it difficult to move on.
- Death – pedestrian deaths are common phenomena. Pedestrians struck by vehicles have a very high risk of death. In 2018, Washington’s pedestrian death rate accounted for 18.7% of all traffic fatalities in the state.
If you suffer injuries from a pedestrian accident due to a negligent driver, the priority is getting medical treatment as soon as possible. Consult a pedestrian accident attorney to guide you through the best legal options. In a pedestrian accident claim, the main aim is to prove the driver’s negligence as the cause of the accident.
Damages That You Can Claim After a Pedestrian Accident
The major part of a personal injury claim is usually the injuries themselves. Nevertheless, you will inevitably incur other losses due to the accident. Mobile phones and clothing are just a few examples of the losses you can incur.
Like any other personal injury claim, a pedestrian accident claim allows the victim to claim damages resulting from the accident. The damages you can claim are:
- General Damages – the compensation a victim gets for the suffering and pain caused by injuries. General damages include travel expenses for the journeys you make due to the accident and the care & assistance costs incurred when coping with your injuries.
- Special Damages – these compensations are aimed at putting you back in the financial position you were in before the accident. Here, you can claim for things like loss of earnings and medical expenses.
There are several losses that you might incur due to a pedestrian accident. It is essential to claim compensation for damages, primarily if the accident resulted from reckless driving. The first step to a successful injury claim is working with the best pedestrian accident attorneys from a reputable injury law firm.
If you have suffered injuries or lost someone you care about in a pedestrian accident, the wisest step is to find a skilled lawyer to help recover damages caused by the injuries. Contact a reliable and highly-experienced personal injury law firm; its legal team will have years of relevant legal experience and may also offer you a free consultation.
FOLLOW US TODAY: